Philadelphia Country Club

DSC02341_1
13_09_14_ashton_dave3456

Philadelphia Country Club is one of the oldest country clubs in the country. In 1890, John C. Bullitt, an enthusiastic sportsman persuaded a small group of socially prominent Philadelphians to join him in organizing a country club for riding and driving. They purchased a sixty acre property in Bala adjoining Fairmount Park, and constructed a Polo field; hence the horse head logo. A nine-hole Golf course was completed on the site in 1892.

Due to the rise in the popularity of Golf, the Club purchased land for an 18 hole Golf course in Gladwyne in 1926. The Club operated in two locations until 1957 when the Clubhouse on Spring Mill Road was completed. The Spring Mill course was originally designed by architect William Flynn, and while many changes had taken place over the decades since it was originally designed, the Club recently returned to the previous design. In 1990, on the occasion of the Club’s Centennial Anniversary, an additional nine holes, designed by Tom Fazio, were dedicated as the Centennial Nine.

In 1939, The U.S. Open was held on the Spring Mill course, with Byron Nelson winning in a nail-biting ending. In 2003, the U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship took place at PCC, with Virada Nirapathpongporn the victor. Keeping in the Championship mode, the 2005 U.S. Amateur Championship was held here, as a co-host Club, for the early rounds. The 1899 U.S. Women’s Championship was held at the Bala Cynwyd course.

Today, the Club consists of approximately 1,000 Members and their families. Over half of the Members reside in the surrounding neighborhoods of Gladwyne, Bryn Mawr, Villanova, Wayne, and the rest of Philadelphia’s proverbial Main Line.

Driving Directions

From King of Prussia
East on the Schuylkill Expressway (Rt. 76) to EXIT at Conshohocken. Turn right at the traffic light onto Matsonford Road. At the next traffic light, turn right (note, McDonalds is on the right), onto Route 23 East (Conshohocken State Road). Follow Rt. 23 up the hill one mile, and turn left at the traffic light onto Spring Mill Road.  The Clubhouse is about one half mile on the right after the Golf course.

From Center City Philadelphia
West on the Schuylkill Expressway (Rt. 76) to the Conshohocken EXIT (Rt. 23 East). Turn right to Rt. 23 East (Conshohocken State Road). Follow Rt. 23 up the hill one mile, and turn left at the traffic light onto Spring Mill Road.  The Clubhouse is about one half mile on the right after the Golf course.

From Philadelphia International Airport
Take Rt. 95 South to Rt. 476 North (Plymouth Meeting). Continue on Rt. 476 to EXIT (Conshohocken). Turn right to Rt. 23 East (Conshohocken State Road). Follow Rt. 23 up the hill one mile, and turn left at the traffic light onto Spring Mill Road. The Clubhouse is about one half mile on the right after the Golf course.

From Interstate 95 Northbound
EXIT off Rt. 95 onto Rt. 476 North (Plymouth Meeting). Continue on Rt. 476 to EXIT (Conshohocken). Turn right to Rt. 23 East (Conshohocken State Road). Follow Rt. 23 up the hill one mile, and turn left at the traffic light onto Spring Mill Road. The Clubhouse is about one half mile on the right after the Golf course.

From New York
New Jersey Turnpike to the Pennsylvania Turnpike westbound. EXIT the Pennsylvania Turnpike at Rt. 476 South. Take Rt. 476 to EXIT (Valley Forge, Philadelphia, Conshohocken). Bear right upon exiting (to Conshohocken). Turn right on Rt. 23 East (Conshohocken State Road). Follow Rt. 23 up the hill one mile, and turn left at the traffic light onto Spring Mill Road.  The Clubhouse is about one half mile on the right after the Golf course.